Photobucket


September 18, 2008

THE NOT SO GOOD SAMARITAN

Topic of the Week:
HELPING SOMEONE, THEN GETTING STOMPED ON (and then not being very Christian about it!!!)
OR
NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED.



Here's the story:


I was introduced about a year ago to this young woman that was having difficulties with DHR. As ya'll know my children and I have suffered greatly thanks to the "help" offered by DHR and I seemed like the logical person to try and help this lady through her grief and maybe offer some advice about how to handle what might happen. I being a new Christian saw this as an opportunity to be well CHRISTIAN! I encouraged her to come to Bible Study, my group paid for her book and she came once. I encouraged her to come to church, she came with me once and then went somewhere else. Okay, well I was a bit annoyed but realized that any step closer to God was a blessing and that my human nature of annoyance was not right.
This happened a bit more. I got phone calls for help that became very personal. I kept rescuing her, giving her a place to sleep or going to her home and counseld as best I could. Then she would go somewhere else or do the opposite of what was suggested. I got more frustrated.
About a month ago she called me as I was coming home from church. She was hysterical. For the 4th time she was leaving her husband (of less than a year). He was throwing her out (again). I took steps to get her and her little girl safely away. I made some calls and procurred her a place in a safe house. Packed her belongings and brought them to storage. Got her and her daughter out of town and felt oh so glad I could be of some help. Of course the husband called and ranted at me that day, but I handled it. Her mother-in-law and I talked a few times. All in all I felt good about helping and finally getting a resolution for her. I praised God for the ability to help all the way home. (My first mistake, I praised God after all of this but never once asked God what He wanted me to do!)
She called me a few times to let me know she was okay, but I could tell this wasn't going to work. Like always, she was going to go right back into it. That is exactly what happened. I was told by a good friend that she had seen her back at the same house she had fled from 3 weeks earlier.
Thats when "IT" got me. What exactly is "IT". IT is that imp that breeds anger, resentment, frustration and all kinds of other unseemly stuff. In other words, I forgot about being a good "sister in Christ" and forgiving and letting it go. I started huffing and puffing about the fact that she didn't even have the goodness to call me and let me know she was back. Then "IT" said... what about the gas you wasted and the day of work you missed (that you couldn't afford to) and what about all the time and effort, and what about missing out the time with your kids. YADDA YADDA YADDA. It festered and festered. BECAUSE I LET IT.
She showed up the other day with this grin on her face like nothing had ever happened. Went on and on about how everything was working out and she and her husband were looking for a house and her daughter was enrolled in the private day care in town. I maintained composure then but barely and managed to hug her and wish her well (ever mindful that God knows my heart). I breathed a sigh of relief that I got through it somewhat graciously but continued to fume.
She showed up again a day later with her daughter wanting to go to my house to get the movies she "lent" me when she and her daughter left. The way I remember she gave me the movies when she left because she couldn't take them with her and they didn't need to sit in storage when my kids could use them. I told her that I would return them, but they were mixed up with mine. I WAS FUMING... All I kept thinking was you put me through all this mess, didn't even apologize and now want your movies back that my kids have gotten attached to...in hindsight I realize, she couldn't help what she was but I was the one being petty.
Pretty awful stuff, I must say. She showed up the next morning bright and early for those movies and proceeded to insinuate that I hadn't brought them all back! Well that my dear friends was IT. After all I had done then I was going to be accused of stealing. I fell apart. I asked if she also expected me to replace any that were damaged even if I hadn't damaged them. I told her I was sorry I ever took the movies from her and that I should have minded my own business from the very beginning. Ashamedly, I got very rude and made some statements I very much regret.
Okay bottom line.. no matter how she acted... I SHOULD HAVE BEEN LIKE CHRIST! Would He have been angry... No. I also know that if I had prayed from the beginning and asked God what to do, I would have not gotten so personally involved in the life of a stranger. It reminds me of the Good Samaritan. He helped the wounded man and paid an inn keeper to tend to him til he was well. It does not say he moved into his house, invited him into his life or got his life story, fixed his marriage, adopted his kids. Well you get the point.

What I learned...
1) First when someone is in need, ask the Father HOW He wants you to help. Putting your own family at risk financially and emotionally IS NOT in the will of the Father.
2) The bible says whatever your brother asks IF YOU ARE ABLE give it. Sometimes we just aren't able. I am one of those that is forever ashamed that I am not ABLE. So I make up for it in rushing headlong into a really bad situation and "IT" is the result. I allowed Satan a chance to put YUCK all over me.
3) God allows situations to happen to see how you will handle them and also to prune those unfruitful branches. (MAN DO I HAVE A LOT OF THEM!)
4) I had to repent of my behavior and I had beg God to forgive me for being so ugly. I am ashamed and humiliated because I allowed "IT" to get to me yet again. Honestly, I am tired of having to repent for stuff. I just want to get it right the first time.

MORAL: Make sure your heart is right when you help someone. If you are only helping to feel good about yourself (God showed me that is what I have been doing), then you are opening the door for "IT".

Bless you all for reading and if you can identify or have overcome "IT" Please let me know and tell me what you did or are doing.

Praise the Almighty for His grace. I needed lots of it this week.
Love Ya'll.... Kristin

No comments: